Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I’ve been teaching English at the Centro Artisanal ever since I got here, and all in all it’s been interesting, for better or worse. For one thing, it’s frustrating. The students in the class are products of the crappy education system here, so they have no idea how to learn. Also, from the administrative side, teaching sucks here, but I assume it’s not too much worse that a terrible intercity school in the states. Anyway, teaching English class here in a formal setting is basically just an annoying pain in the ass. So why do I do it? It provides me with a group of 45 women who know me and like me. I can use this to establish all kinds of groups. I’ve recently started a women’s running group, and in the future I want to start a women’s cooking class.
But let’s talk about the running group. I wanted to start this group because there are no opportunities for women to exercise here. The majority of the men spend the day doing manual labor, then the afternoons playing sports, so most are in really good shape. In contrast, women get up to cook, clean, and sit around the house all day. So I wanted to do something about that. The idea was received extremely well. Probably half of the 45 person class was really for going running with me. The only time they all could do it was 5am, so that’s what we agreed one. I began waking up at 4:30, but no one showed up. The next day I reminded everyone, no one showed up again. The third day, I said something, and reminded the women that if they wanted to run, they could the next morning. Finally, on the fourth day, 6 people showed up. I said 5am sharp, so naturally they rolled up at 5:30. And as it turns out, it was impossible to run because only 6 women were there. That makes sense. So they said to reschedule it for the next week, and they would remind their friends. Next week rolled around, no one showed.
Turns out, you can’t just establish a friendly, voluntary group. Ecuador just loves pomp and circumstance, so when you do anything (absolutely anything!) you need to sign your name and give your personal ID number. For example, the schools don’t actually teach the kids anything, but they have a bunch of papers with signatures and ID numbers saying they do, so everything’s legit.
Anyway, if I want women to start running, I’m going to have to get some kind of list with all their names, id numbers, copies of the equivalent of their social security card, a notary, and Barack Obama to give a speech (in Spanish) at the inception. I’ll let you know how things turn out.

4 comments:

David Szaronos said...

Hey Chris

I just read all of your January posts in what seems to be chronological order, although I'm not sure (bottom to top). Anyway, I'm guessing that you are writing these on your laptop and then transferring them online when you have internet access. At any rate, your writing has really sharpened. The stories are as good as ever (I particularly like the one about running with the kids), but they are coming together really well now, and they are really really funny!

Keep it up, man.

Marian's Meanderings said...

Chris,
I finally took some time to read your blog. I love your descriptive style. You are very entertaining!! This journal will be a wonderful thing to share with others in the years to come. I look forward to reading more. I wish Peace Corps was a shorter time period I would seriously consider it in place of retirement. I will keep you in my thoughts... Marian (Neal's mom)

tommygill said...

Your comments about the 'pomp and circumstance' strike close to home. I think its a development issue. You can talk to as many people as you want, and they will all sound excited, but when it comes down to actually getting something done a 5-10% turnout rate is as good as you will ever see.

Frustrating.

Tracey said...

Chris, I would love to have your perspective shared on this site: www.agreatplace.ca. It's home to inspiring stories from people such as yourself. If you're featured, you could reference your blog or other web page. Good luck!