Saturday, October 4, 2008

Time doesn´t exist here. There are no seasons. The weather never changes: it’s always either rainy or sunny, or rainy and sunny (how?). Get up, work, play soccer, go to bed. Every day is exactly the same. You don´t spend time, you pass it. You don’t grow old, one day you just die.

I have learned to happily step aside and let time pass me by. Why worry about a trivial thing that that, anyway? I was even prepared for it. ¨Latin time¨, they call it. I wasn´t, however, prepared for the obliteration of direction I´ve experienced while here. Palm trees stretch up mountains in every direction. There is either no sun, or so much sun you can´t look at it…and when you notice the vibrant pink of a tropical sunset, the sun has already dipped behind a mountain. But you can´t tell which mountain. Seriously, I´ve tried. The sky lights up above the mountains for a 360 degree sunset, so you can´t tell which direction west is. I´m living in a floating bubble somewhere far removed from the space time continuum.

Sometimes, while in the ¨Purple Bubble¨ of Williams College, I would look up on a clear night and see that stars in all of their bucolic beauty, their vibrance unencumbered by light pollution. The infinite expanse and clarity always made me feel uncomfortable. So small and insignificant. Here, I look up on a rare cloudless night, and am even more overwhelmed pinhole illumination piercing the heavens. Only here I feel peace radiating from within rather that anxiety beating down from above. Sometimes its nice to be reminded of just how small and insigignificant you are.

1 comment:

David Szaronos said...

yo chris,

it's amazing to see how the tone of your writing has changed over the weeks and months. im excited to see how things turn out for you with your new job as a hiking/canoeing doctor.

take care,
dave